Chances are that you’ve already heard of the Full Moon Party, as it has become a thing of backpacker legend. It takes place on Haadrin Beach on the island of Ko Phangan, located in the Southern Gulf of Thailand. This all-night dance party is held 14 times every year—on the full moon of every month, as well as on the nights of Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve. Each Full Moon Party draws crowds of thousands, but the NYE Full Moon Party is usually the year’s biggest and wildest. Attending one of these parties is a one-in-a-lifetime experience that deserves a place on the bucket list of any backpacker.
So what should you expect from a NYE Full Moon Party?
2. Cheap buckets of booze
3. Psychedelic neon lights and body paint
4. Trance/house beats and dancing
5. Fire skipping ropes and hoops
It has the potential to be one of the most unforgettable party nights of your life. In saying that, there are some things to keep in mind:
- It’s a good idea to get a speed boat/ferry ticket to Koh Phangan and book a place to stay on the island a few days in advance. Otherwise, you may be risking not being able to get to the island at the last minute, or having nowhere to leave your stuff and sleep off your hangover.
- It’s wise not to bring too much cash or valuables to the party, as pickpocketing is a risk.
- There have also been many problems with drug abuse and excessive drinking in the past, so they’re good things to avoid if you’re trying to party smart and have a good time.
For those of you who were lucky enough to be on Haadrin Beach this New Year’s Eve, I hope you had the time of your lives.
Happy New Year, everyone—wherever you may be!
Interested in the Full Moon Party schedule for 2014? You can find it here: http://www.fullmoonpartykohphangan.com/schedule_dates/
As always, happy travels!